When the war ended, the Instrument of Surrender was signed on 16 September 1945 at Government House. The table used for the ceremony is now on display in the Hong Kong Museum of History.
Post-war Governors and Chief Executives of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region carried out alterations to the House to suit their own style and needs:
Sir Mark Young (1941-1947),
on reoccupying Government House in 1946, removed the Japanese fittings and installed four bedrooms and new bathrooms.
Sir Alexander Grantham (1947-1957) panelled the rooms, added false ceilings, new fireplaces and cantilevered balconies, provided individual air-conditioning units to bedrooms, the Drawing Room and