The Tower
The Tower
History The House Architecture Open Day Photo Gallery
Last Revision Date: July 30, 2006

繁體 简体
The main building of Government House was constructed in 1855 in neo-classical style, incorporating rich colonial characteristics. Over the years, major renovation and alteration works were carried out by various Governors to suit their personal style and needs.The two biggest changes took place in 1889-1891 and during the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong in 1942-1945. In 1889, during the governorship of Sir William Des Voeux (1887-1891), an annex was built on the eastern side of the House to provide more space for social functions. The annex, almost as large as the House proper and linked by a covered stairway, was composed of a ballroom on the upper floor and a supper room below. The project proceeded quickly and was completed in 1891.